Thursday, June 13, 2013

Photo Aikido



Aikido is often translated as "the Way of unifying (with) life energy." The more I try to pursue the type of candid/street photography as a therapy/alternative to the studio the more I find myself thinking in terms of Aikido. Now I am sure that purists in that art will take issue with my appropriation of the term, so forgive me. To try to take this kind of photo I have tried to come to an understanding of the position of the camera, it's field of view, and the necessary settings to be engaged within a particular situation. The Aikido Photo is taken without raising the camera to the eye, but rather with the awareness of position and field, the body moves to frame the subject without intrusion. It must be said that modern auto focus and auto exposure do play a part (the latter,auto exposure needs to be used with care). In the interest of full disclosure some images demand raising the camera.

The preferred type of camera for me is either a digital rangefinder or similar camera that does not produce a shutter sound. Currently I am using a borrowed Canon G9, upon the demise of my trusted G5. Those familiar with these cameras are no doubt appalled due to the the technical limitations of these cameras, but hey, that's part of the challenge until I can afford an upgrade. Below is a typical Kata, a Japanese word describing detailed choreographed patterns of movements. In this case a possible picture, haw accurately can I turn and frame. I do these on a regular basis and sometimes get an interesting photo as well. Well enough philosophy it's application that counts, taking pictures.

1 comment:

  1. One more thought, "Get used to disappointment!" - Dread Pirate Roberts

    ReplyDelete